The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 52 made on Saturday January 5, 2008 at 07:52
McNasty
Founding Member
January 2002
On December 19, 2007 at 20:13, docdoc said...
|

Ah, but therein is the rub. There is nothing on your
website that suggests or even hints at the fact that "the| MX-980 is an installer-only product."

Actually it does...On their website they have a "Consumer" section and a "Professional" section. You cannot view the MX-980 unless you go to the Professional section first where the first statement is:

"All of the devices we advertise here in the Professional section of this website are
designed to be programmed and installed by experienced custom installation
professionals. Our remotes are powerful and quite advanced, and in the hands of a
trained programmer they can be configured to exploit all of the rich features that
provide maximum consumer benefits. While it may be possible for an advanced
hobbyist to derive satisfactory results, it is our strong conviction, based upon
extended experience, that our products will not deliver their maximum potential
unless they are professionally programmed.
We do advertise a number of advanced products designed and engineered for
consumers to quickly setup on their own. These products are listed in the Consumer
section of our website. "

The only mistake URC has made, IMO, is to show them in a non-protected area of the site. IMO, if they want to keep them as remotes designed with the CI in mind, then they should make that a dealer only area.

That said, the Magnolia you are dealing with are idiots. Most dealers that will not provide the programming software for a remote do so for specific reasons. I used to deny people the software because in the past, I got calls from clients that expected me to fix their remotes for free after they played around with the software and botched up their remote. Although it was usually a quick upload, I still had to take the time to drive to their home and fix the issue that they messed up. I now look at it differently and think an un-upgradable version of the software should be left with the end-user anyways. The issue here isn't URC. URC is doing the best they can in trying to stop unauthorized sales of their product and limiting the software download is the best they can do. They do not tell the dealers that the dealers cannot give a copy to their clients. If your dealer won't give you a copy then that dealer is the bad guy, not URC.

Hosting Services by ipHouse