The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 20 made on Sunday December 16, 2007 at 16:01
docdoc
Lurking Member
December 2007
Unfortunately, I could not get Magnolia to provide me with the software for the MX-980, and so I ended up returning it. As someone else pointed out, without the software it was just a pretty brick. Although I understand and respect URC's decision not to provide software for the MX-980, as far as I was concerned this policy simply led to a lost customer (both for Magnolia and for URC).

For those of you how have contacted URC about this issue, here's the response I got from URC's technical support line when I asked them about obtaining the software:

> Thank you for contacting Universal Remote Control, Inc.

> Hello Kaustuv,

> The MX-980 software is not available to end users at this time. The software is only available to professional installers.

> You will not be able to download the MX-980 software. You will have to consult with Magnolia HIfi for the remote to be programmed.

> If there are any further questions or comments please feel free to contact the Universal Remote Control, Inc family at 1 (800) 901-0800, Monday thru Friday between 9 am to 6 pm EST or via our website select contact us.

Note there's nothing here suggesting that Magnolia would provide me with the software or that they are authorized to do so. In over a week I could not get an answer from Magnolia whether they would in fact be able to provide me with the software. What's probably most frustrating about this whole experience is that the manual that comes with the MX-980 says nothing about this policy of not providing software to the end user (nor does the URC website), instead stating only that URC recommends that the MX-980 be professionally programmed. A recommendation is, of course, a long way from a prohibition.

Good luck to the rest of you end-users with getting the editor for the MX-980. But I'm washing my hands off this product.

K.M.

Hosting Services by ipHouse