The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 37 made on Thursday January 8, 2009 at 12:36
dimes
Lurking Member
July 2008
On January 6, 2009 at 11:06, CFoote said...
I am considering the purchase of a MX-980 and admittedly
the battery life (besides the price) is a turn off.

However, I did find a high capacity 1400mah np-60 battery
online. Japanese cells, no China stuff. Do you think this
would be worth considering? That's a huge jump in capacity
compared to 1050 or 1100mah...

[Link: bluenook.com]

Chris

Chris, This is the battery I currently run in my MX980. I was frustrated w/ my "dead in 30 minute" MX980 so I bought this battery. In the meantime I contacted URC and they happily replaced my bad battery. Props to URC for that. It's still in the mail.

I ordered from bluenook through amazon: I think it was cheaper by a buck or two, you get amazon.com piece of mind and you don't have to setup a new account if you have an amazon.com account already. Bluenook shipped fast and I replaced battery this Saturday.

Note the cell or packaging still says "china" so I don't know if the Japanese > China thing is pure bunkum? I pretty much bought the best battery I found because it's about $10 more than the low MaH unbranded cells. I figured I wouldn't obsess about $10 more on a battery powering or controlling thousands of dollars in equipment.

I can't speak to battery life vs. my old URC cells but since the Lithium Ion "self discharge" 1400MaH should go ~40% longer than 1000MaH.

Be careful with these and all Lithium Ion batteries!! DO NOT RUN THEM DOWN ALL THE WAY. I think my original URC battery died because I ran it down all the way. When the wife wanted to move the charger off of the console table she unplugged it and left it out. We went out of town for a bit and when I came back, even after charging, the battery was never the same. Instead of a few days between charges it was few minutes.

-- From batteryuniversity.com re: LithIon
Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.)
--

I now have the charge cradle in a cabinet. Increased WAF with no visible dock in the room. I dock nightly. Once you're used to docking regularly I don't think it's that bad.
--dimes

Hosting Services by ipHouse