The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 209 made on Sunday December 9, 2007 at 18:52
cobbler
Lurking Member
December 2007
On November 20, 2007 at 01:20, Rich_Guy said...
Who is the one exaggerating here? I've said what I have
to say and I am not here to argue with anyone, it really
should not even be a point to argue. URC's policy change
is still having bad a affect on URC customers and it's
a real shame, it accomplished nothing good and it hurt
many good customers, it should be corrected.

If you want a comparison to terrorists (which was your
idea not mine), it's people like you supporting URC's
change that are like those who support what those terrorists
did. Many innocent people were hurt for bad reasons and
it never should have been done.

I'm not here to argue, so good night.

WOW! I am a newbie to the whole remote thing. Here is my two cents for what it is worth.

I have a friend who is a part time installer. I have been a programmer (computer industry) for decades so he asked if i would like to help him out programming some remotes on the side. I thought it would be interesting. By coincedence, I was using a Harmony 880 that i found pretty cool when i bought it years ago. It just happend to die (buttons lost contact points etc.). So i thought to myself, Ill look into a higher end remote for better quality and kill two birds with one stone so to speak as i would get first hand experience in the programming aspest of it.

Now, I find Rich_Guys remarks to be childish. I dont know many people that would realistically go out and pay 300+ for a remote and not do a little research on what it will provide them, what they will be capable of themselves in use and programming, and what would require expert help.

By doing my research, I chose the MX-980 for several reasons. One: it can handle everything i wish to accomplish with my system, two: I looks really cool *grin*, three: my friend the installer is thinking of using it for his upcomming projects and installations (so i could get some extra $ helping him, see above).

Now, with that in mind, I went the route of a normal home based retail customer. I read everything i could get my hands on regarding the MX-980 and URC policies. Is that not what any semi intelligent consumer should do? I knew from my research that I had to purchase from a URC authorized retailer to obtain the updatable software. I am not going to argue URC's policy as this is America and they have the right to make any policy they wish regarding their products and customer base. I KNEW from my research if i purchased it from a big name retailer like Best Buy or Magnolia that i would "only" get the software that was not updatable. If i was unable to find a dealer that was able to give me the software then i simply would have gone a diffenent direction. If i had bought it and realized i was unable to get updatable software (due to lack of research) i simply would have returned it. I believe that is referred to as "common sense"?

Furthermore, I had some issues with getting Vista to recognize the remote. I read posts here and elsewhere. I even posted my delima and received several replies as to what could be the issue, all very welcomed and giving me some sort of direction. I called the authorized dealer and though they could not directly help me assured me they would support me if no resolution was found. I called URC and found the tech support guy to be nothing less than professional and helpful. He was not aware of the issue i was having but regardless, never questioned my status as a retailer, dealer, installer etc... he just simply tried to help me figure it out.

I was able, with some time and playing, figure out a work around to my issue. I also sent the retailer and URC my solution and was thanked by both. I got several thanks on this forum for posting my findings as well. All good things in my opinion.

So, in conclusion, I have found my first exploration into the high end remote world to be a good one. I never had to wait hours on the phone waiting for some customer service person to reply, I have been treated with respect from both dealer and URC. I was welcomed here at this site by long standing members even though I was asking newbie type questions.... and I ended up solving my delima.

So i have a hard time reading posts like the ones from Rich_Guy because it seems to me like its all sour grapes (buyers remorse) for not fully researching what he was getting into.

my two cents....

Hosting Services by ipHouse