The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 48 made on Thursday November 30, 2006 at 23:24
SteinyD
Long Time Member
January 2005
I have updated my MX-700 or MX-3000 in quite awhile and came to these forums in the last few days as I'm looking to buy yet another 'universal remote', possibly from Universal Remote. However, the information regarding the policy changes are of great concern. As I originally purchased the MX-700 and MX-3000 from a dealer I no longer have a relationship with, I feel like I no longer have the benefits of a PC upgradeable device that I paid for with that expectation.

To test all of this information re: Universal's policy change, I went to my local Best Buy. With the MX-850 and MX-350 hanging on their retail wall, I questioned the Magnolia staff about the availability of software for their customers. They in turn asked their 'Geek Squad' folks. To my dismay, neither knew the answer. However, they did open a MX-850 retail box to show me that there is NO software in the box. Essentially, Universal Remote has a retail packaged product that is sold in a retail environment that is completely crippled! Best Buy explained that their installers have the software on their laptops and do the installation. After explaining the situation and that I am as knowledgeable about these products as their installers (and probably then some) and didn't intend to have them do the installation, they phoned Universal while I stood there to check their policies.

The answer they received was that I can download the software from their website but would not have the ability to get updates. They asked about providing the updatable version to the customer and the answer was, no. Best Buy suggested that they would check with management in regard to their policies but I would assume the answer would still be, "no".

With all of this in mind, I am no longer interested in purchasing a Universal Remote product. I am not sure I understand why a product hangs on a retail shelf with no ability for the retail customer to manage the device on their own should they choose to do so. Further, I don't understand why I shouldn't have the ability to 'subscribe' to updates if I choose.

Further, much to my dismay, I cannot register my MX-700 as the registration code (no matter how I do enter it) isn't being accepted. Regardless, I still need to be able to update my own device. I don't recall 'leasing' the device from anyone.

Hosting Services by ipHouse