The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 44 made on Tuesday November 28, 2006 at 02:18
Stillayankee
Lurking Member
November 2006
I too tried to update my software recently & found the Live Update no longer works. The way URC is going about this is highly unethical. I spoke with a friend of mine tonight that is an attorney & he says that though they do have a right to control the distribution of their software, to retroactively do this to consumers that actually purchased a remote (whether from an AD or not) can be fought (and in his opinion, won) in court. Any comparisons to MS or Apple are not relevant since if you are running a pirated copy of those OS's you didn't pay anyone for them. Besides, at least in MS's case, you were still allowed to update the software!
Now, even though a good case can be made in court, does anyone have the $$$ to actually see this through? Personally, I don't. But what I will do is contact Attorney General Elliot Spitzer's (and now Governor-elect) in NY and file a complaint.
BTW, my wife bought me this remote (MX-3000) for Christmas last year from a reputable online retailer, though apparently not an AD. There's an interesting story that goes along with this purchase (such as the old 'Bait & Switch' attempt from what is a very well known company here in Tampa) but how was she to know any different? I probably wouldn't have thought of it myself.

Hosting Services by ipHouse