Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 149 made on Saturday October 22, 2005 at 06:17
PeraV
Lurking Member
August 2005
Hi,

sorry I've been away a while - also been waiting for Philips to release their mighty solution to this problem. Especially when they so fiersly advocated against the solution I presented here. I'm glad to see that so many have had use of the tip. For those of you, who have not been able to use it yet some advice:

There may be (and propably are) different versions of hardware used during the years - so once more, the ribbon cable that comes from beneath and connects to glass plate in my older 3000/950 is brown and transparent (I have not opened the new one yet). It bends over the corner (top - right) of the glass plate (touch screen) and there it connects to some metal strips (silvery) on the glassplate. When you rub (with a sharp tool) the points where the ribbon cable is attached to the glass, it re-connects the faulty contact. As someone here said very simple and free. If the ribbon is white, it might only hide the connection points - you can propably test it by rubbing the part where the ribbon cable is attached to the glass (as you have opened this fine piece of electronics already).

Somebody wondered how this can possibly help - that is because for some reason the connection fails, propably moisture and oxidation goes into the connection and increases the resistance in that. When you rub that soft ribbon cable end, it makes the contact better even though you do not open or clean the contact itself.

For the record - my device has worked ever since (2 months) I first repaired it. It has all the latest firmware etc. no problems.

For techies: There might be ways, you can change the measurement part in the firmware (resistance/capacitance change when screen is touched) and get it working without fixing the hardware - and that is propably what Philips is investigating at the moment - good luck for them...

regards PeraV
PeraV

Hosting Services by ipHouse