The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 18 made on Thursday October 20, 2005 at 23:50
Barry Gordon
Founding Member
August 2001
I have a total of about 5 Philps remotes starting with the original pronto and ending with the iPronto. I am the barry gordon that wrote the original monograph on Pronto hex codes way back when.

How good is an iPronto? Well depends on your expectations. I wanted a large screen touchpad remote to control my HT that I could program and expand as time went on and my system changed. I did not want an EPG, I did not want a browser, I did not want a microphone or the playing of music or the viewing of video. I wanted IR and or RF transmission.

The iProinto has met all my expectations. Its overall performance in my restricted environment is adequate, but not what I would call exceptional. All of its shortcomings have been discussed.

I wish:
The Wi-Fi capability was open and documented so one could send TCP/IP or UDP instead of IR/RF for button presses. I wish the RF was receivable by lets say a simple RF receiver on a PC com port or USB like the ATI remote or others.

I will say nothing about Philips, other then they are the poorest company I know of with regard to customer relations. I will never buy another Philips product based solely on how they chose to support the iPronto and their original marketing hype.

Hosting Services by ipHouse