The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday September 13, 2002 at 11:17
rteichma
Lurking Member
September 2002
I just recently bought a Harmony and I think it is great! I have Tivo, so I had to spend a lot of time "configuring" it. However, I talked to Harmony and they are working on having a better Tivo configuration out of the box.

In any event, I disagree with the statement that the small number of keys cause a problem with Tivo. This is true with the default configuration, but if you configure it right, its a dream. This is what I did:

When you go into Tivo it puts you into a normal TV channel mode "SURF". The LCD shows the list of channels to go to and the 5 directional control buttons do what the normal tivo remote does: guide, banner, last channel, other tunner, and Tivo menu. The play button shows the time bar at the bottom of the TV screen and puts the remote into "PLAY" mode, which now has the same buttons function as FF,RW,PAUSE,PLAY. The stop button sends you back to "SURF". While in SURF if you bring up the guide it puts you into a "GUIDE" mode where the buttons navigate the guide. Hitting play selects the program and sends you back to "SURF". The help button would just send you back to SURF and remove the guide from the screen. Using ZAP for Tivo on the "SURF", "GUIDE", "PLAY" modes brings up the Tivo Menu and turns the keys into directional functions. This is the only point where you must be careful. I mapped the play button to just do an enter, which leaves you in navigate mode. I did this since this just seemed the best place to have the "Select" function key. But it is a problem if the "Select" button causes a show to start being played. For this reason, I mapped the "Help" button to take you back to the "PLAY" mode.

I am now able to use the remote without ever looking at it (unless I want to jump to a particular channel). I can do it all from "feel". Thekeys are all in an intuitive place, no to mention being labeled with the actual function they perform.

Hosting Services by ipHouse