The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Tuesday May 1, 2007 at 04:28
Dark Knight
Long Time Member
December 2004
Aside from the physical button differences and the Z-Wave compliancy in the newer models, all remotes are identical. Yes really.

What I can control with my - near - top of the line 895 can be controlled with my older 688. Don't beleive the hype about extra functions. Some of the older remotes feature Pic and Sound buttons which allow an additional set of IR commands to be assigned to a button, but Logitech are now considering this a premium feature chargable to us customers!. So the 890 Pro has this functionality (and ok may be a few extras) but you'll be paying alot more for these mappable buttons. A cheaper version I beleive is the new 670.

I'm fairly sure the 1000 doesn't offer anything more complelling than any other Z-Wave and touch screen control. Personally, if I wanted a touchscreen experience then I would want WiFi connectivity and feedback response which I expect are features of the more high end kit such as AMX of Crestron. (You'll have to go in to the Custom Installers forum if you're really interested in these).

My choice of the 688 and 895 came from wanting a programmable remote that was tactile. I'm not a fan of touchscreens and in my experience the Harmony remotes have the highest WAF (Wife Acceptancy Factor).

I'm based in the UK where Z-Wave is even more limited than the US (where I imagine most contributors in this forum are based), so I couldn't really advise on where you could source Z-Wave kit. However, one of the main US manufacturers of Z-Wave are http://www.act-solutions.com/. Give them a buzz and I'm sure they could advise on suppliers close by to you.

Best of luck.

Hosting Services by ipHouse