The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 44 made on Friday January 11, 2008 at 16:54
Geil
Long Time Member
January 2008
On January 11, 2008 at 16:11, akirby said...
It has a RF receiver which then sends out the appropriate
IR commands over the appropriate blasters. It still sends
IR commands from the remote (if needed). It does not
control other RF devices unless they support Z-wave.
It's illegal for one manufacturer to use the same RF
frequency as another mfr (other than for Z-wave) since
that would cause untold problems with interference between
devices.

I am still confused :P
My concept of RF and IR maybe off (can't find my old physics book) but the IR receivers inside all of the HT devices could not possibly accept RF signals? If that assumption is correct than no matter if you use a 880, 890, 1000 or the "One" they all still would have to transmit in IR to be understood by the devices. I can only imagine that "better" reception is only a result of a stronger transmitter.

Update:

Ok after some clarification from my buddy, IR and RF definetely not the same thing and the RF part (besides direct use with Z-Wave) really is only used to extend the commands through walls in conjunction with the included RF extender which, receiving the RF signal, will then transmit the approprite IR signals to the HT devices in front of it still requiring line of sight .. much like what akirby was saying
So unless chuck_IV and lebaige installed the RF extender into the same room they are really not using the RF part of the remote at all just that the signal is stronger or the delays are set properly

Last edited by Geil on January 11, 2008 17:14.

Hosting Services by ipHouse