The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 47 made on Friday April 14, 2006 at 20:19
neverness
Lurking Member
April 2006
I've owned my Harmony for almost a year. When I first got it, I didn't initially experience any charging issues. However, as time passed it became harder and harder to get my 880 to charge - it would beep to say it had started charging, then immediately beep again to say it'd stopped, like it saw the charger for a moment but lost it. By the time I'd owned the remote for about 3 months it was driving me nuts trying to charge it, sometimes it would take literally 5 minutes of jiggling before it would start charging properly! Which feels like an hour, let me tell you! And sometimes in the morning it would still only show 1 or 2 bars, as if it had lost connection again during the night and failed to charge completely.

After reading these forums I found it seems quite a common problem, so I reported it to the support line.

Although I'm in Australia (which is often a problem when trying to get support from international vendors) Logitech were both professional and quick to respond. I had read earlier posts where it seemed they were in denial that this problem even existed, but that no longer seems to be the case. This is apparently a problem they are familiar with now, because they asked almost no questions before confirming my address to ship me a replacement base station.

I received the new cradle within about a week. It works way better than the old one. It is still a bit fiddly, and maybe one time in three when I charge my remote I have to take it out and put it back in again before it will actually continue charging. But it never takes multiple minutes of jiggling frustration to get it to charge, like the old one did!

In my opinion, the base station design is fundamentally flawed, but the update has reduced the practical impact to a point where the device is at least useable, and that's enough for me.

I can only hope that the updated base station is now standard on all new units.

The only thing I can say to anyone considering buying this remote is: It is a fantastic remote, really awesome! The remote itself is incredibly easy both to configure and to use. Even with the problems I have experienced (problems which are now resolved) I would say it has definitely been worth the money. The charging problem is a real issue though, on at least some percentage of units. If you get a new model you should have the updated less annoying base station, but in case you don't, make sure you can exchange it, or report it to the support line immediately if you do experience problems. The faulty base stations seem to get worse with time so no point waiting and hoping it'll get better on it's own.

Hosting Services by ipHouse