The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 41 made on Wednesday October 16, 2002 at 19:43
avgenius1
Founding Member
May 2002
On 10/16/02 11:29.31, Dave Goodfellow said...
Did you pay the full asking price for a new or
used car?
What about your house?
Buy a vacuum cleaner and ask for free dust bags?

As a dealer do you negotiate with your suppliers?

Do you expect us 'the consumer' to just lie down
and pay what you want.

Dear Mr. Goodfellow,

Here are my answers to your questions.

Question #1:\
No, I did not pay asking price for my used vehicle, however, when I called the individual to inquire about the price posted in the local paper, he informed me that he actually wanted less so I purchased the vehicle. I did not haggle with him nor did I price shop him using the internet. The asking price was fair and he had all service records. When a price is asked it is for a reason. Prices are set by businesses/ individuals for profit and that is what keeps the economy flowing.

Question 2:

Yes I paid full price for my house I recently built, however, the builder was willing to throw in some "extras" since I did not try to haggle with him over the base price(all changes had to be paid for in full at time of change/addition). I felt that the price was fair as property values in the area are increasing rapidly and I will make back more than my initial investment. A home purchase is very different than a Home Theater in that you cant order a home on the internet and expect it to arrive in 7 to 10 working days.

Question 3:

My vacuum cleaner doesnt use bags, maybe its time to update your vacuum. I bet you'll find a good deal on the internet, probably cheaper than Wal-Mart.

Question 4:

Suppliers set a price based on the profit they need to stay in business, we set our prices based on what we need to stay in business. NO you can not negotiate with a supplier to provide pricing that makes you competitive with the internet, it wont happen, as they wont make any money and you wont be able get the product any longer, hampering your ability to do business.

Question 5:

No person here is trying to rape a customer on price, we are all just trying to make a living and the internet is making this harder to do, you should understand this being in software sales. Our experience is valueable to some consumers and not to others, the inherent problem with the internet sales of electronics is that it devalues my profession and I take that personal. If you think this is an easy job, ask your dealer to let you install with him on your 'holiday' from work, then tell us all that internet sales can make the world a better place for ALL consumers.

Questions for you:

Do you negotiate the amount you pay for dinner at a nice restaraunt? How about the tip?

Work done by your doctor? The price of a CT scan or MRI? The cost of a hair cut?

Since I am trying to be absured, I hope you see my point. Not everything in every field is negotiable and service oriented industry shouldnt be, a professoinal is a professoinal and should be compensated in a manner that allows them to stay in business without pressure from unfair pricing.

Good Day Sir.

Amen McNasty, Amen.

This message was edited by avgenius1 on 10/16/02 19:52.02.
"Some may never live but the crazy never die" ~ Hunter S. Thompson
"There will be plenty of time to sleep when I am dead" ~ Me

Hosting Services by ipHouse