Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 37 made on Wednesday October 16, 2002 at 14:08
Eric Johnson
Universal Remote Control Inc.
May 2001
Mike,

I am sorry that you haven't found a good dealer in your neck of the woods. A good custom dealer knows that a "do it yourselfer" can refer a lot of business his way. If you are interested in getting a referral to a good dealer, check out the CEDIA web site. Although being a CEDIA member does not guarantee a great dealer, it certainly indicates that the dealer plans to be around for a few years. If you would like a personal recommendation, give me a call. I know some great dealers in many areas of the world.

I agree with you that there is a lot of defensive posturing going on in this thread. Custom installers have always had to deal with potent negotiators, many of our customers earned the money to afford a custom installation by negotiating far bigger deals than a home theater!

To my fellows in the business, take heart. Good negotiating skills can be learned! The important thing to remember is that negotiating price doesn't have to be unpleasant. Remember, just like Mike P has said, all potential customers are looking for "service" and value. You need to learn to pleasantly communicate your value.

Here's two books I recommend:

Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In
by Roger Fisher, William Ury, Bruce Patton

Getting Past No: Negotiating Your Way from Confrontation to Cooperation
by William Ury

If there is enough demand, I will propose a class on this to CEDIA. Let me know what you think!

Best Regards,

-Eric

Eric Johnson
www.hometheaterpro.com

Phone 1-800-247-7001

Best Regards,
Eric

Hosting Services by ipHouse