Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 31 made on Wednesday October 16, 2002 at 08:30
Dave Goodfellow
Founding Member
March 2002
Dear MrMcNasty et al,

I put a long explanantion on yesterday but it vanished into the ether after I sent it. Time does not allow me to repeat all of it and other comments have raised other issues.

In short I qualified the Pro Sales with a 'No offence meant', clearly some was taken. Sorry.
I spend all my time selling software, no installs, no accounts, no research into the products as we don't buy them in. I therefore will have more experience selling and become more proficient at it (Assuming level playing field, equal iq, tenancity, drive etc, which not knowing all of you I can only assume).
I just wanted to express from sales experience that it is down to judgement call, are they a bluffer with one web price just trying to drive your prices down, in which case hold. Or are they well researched do they actually have a better offer, and do you need to lower your prices to match them, if you want their business.

As for the comment regarding software piracy, I don't break into the warehouse and steal stuff and ask the delaer to match a price of $4.95 for a crowbar. We do often lose the consultancy part of the deal to independants who offer a cheaper service to configure our software. That annoys us sure but we can't stop it.

We work solely in the B-to-B environment and never deal with a home consumer. Maybe we expect that everyone will be a hard nosed bugger who will drive down our prices, use competitiors to drive down our prices, anything to save a dollar etc. Do you expect the home consumer to be different, not want to drive down your prices, pay what you first ask, even if he is head of purchasing for a large multi-national. Not a realistic expectation I would have thought.

I do all of my own research and it is up to my dealer. If I beleive the products are identical then he can reduce his price to compete in this competive world or if he wants to check it out first then he can. Only once has he proven that the product was not all it cracked up to be and this was based on Stock Levels, they had none and couldn't tell him when they would have some. When I had checked they did have some. He got his price, matched only to the best local dealer.

As for THXRix,

Obviously I didn't get enough. I called my dealer and asked him and you are wrong, he said he really liked my business and me, he also said that I had an attractive wife, I was good looking etc etc. Oh bugger, because it is a consumer to dealer relationship then he is hardly likely to tell me I am an ass, so that doesn't prove everything. B-to-B we can all drive costs as low as we can. but B-to-C we should pay as asked. Well most folks have realised that they are apending $ and they can drive down their costs. Do you all pay the full asking price for a new or used car? Anyone shop at Walmart or do you all go to you corner store?

Why should your industry get special treatment.

And yes this forum is for pro's however the topic led me to beleive it was something I could contribute to. I often see you guys commenting in the other forums, we all thank you for this, and it is often nice to be able to put something back in even if it is controversial. You will not see me commenting on which control system to use, or how do IR signals get affected by refractions from swimming pools as I have much experience of this. Sorry if my comments are unwanted, I think that is not the case, my comments might be controversial and you may hope they aren't true but that doesn't mean they are unwanted.

CMack,

my point exactly it is client by client. If they are a bluffer hold, if they are well informed and have a better deal then either decide you want that business at that price and match it or prove you are worth more.

System Design
Pre-Sales Support
Immediate Post Sales Support (most things go wrong in two weeks)
Long Term Post Sales Support
Advice on System Upgrades based on customer knowledge

It is the same for businesses the world over.

I do not think I am unreasonable on my dealer, I feel that I am a valuable customer. He/you may not agree but I cannot affect that. I do not earn so much that do not need to drive down the cost of every purchase I have made. I will be loyal for good service and reasonable pricing.

I cut the cost of my new car so low the dealer admitted he would make $0 on it. Does he hate me, no, why not? Because after three years I have spent more than double on servicing it than on the car due to the high miles I do. He has already indicated that when it is time to swap it he will give me a new one at cost to retain my business.

Expect costs to be driven down, just decide if you want/need that business.

My thoughts are not that different to most of those here.

Hosting Services by ipHouse