The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 16 made on Monday October 14, 2002 at 10:02
Dave Goodfellow
Founding Member
March 2002
I am that consumer. Well no not actually that consumer. I will expect my dealer to match like with like.

I am a self-installer, all wires ran through wall cavities (brick). One conduit in concrete floor running from rack to main TV for visual plus front speakers and sub. This is for the simple reason I do not know any tradesman good enough. I am sure there are some, and they are here, but at the moment I enjoy doing the work and I am very capable of matching professional install qualities. Keyword is enjoy the install.

I will/do discuss system upgrades with my dealer, he is aware of the rest of my system. Once we have agreed some new hardware, reviews, short-list, demos, decision etc. it is down to price. I will find the best hight street price I can for the product. I expect him to match it. I will also find the best internet price of the product, I do not expect him to match it, but I do expect him to be able to get close to this price.

Unfortunately for you guys, customers have realised they do not have to pay full price for anything but groceries (even I don't haggle for these yet).

However once I have these prices I discuss it with my dealer. Both he and I are aware he doesn't have to sell and I don't have to buy. He knows I would prefer the comfort of buying the hardware for him for service reasons. Some new hardware goes wrong so it makes sense, it is harder to return to web sites than a shop.

I had a new CD player fail and they didn't have a replacement in stock because they don't stock most of their stuff. They did however lend me a CD player to get me through the weekend and the party. I got service and that is good.

I know that I get better service and advice from my dealer than a website. He knows I know. We therefore work out the price. He will match other dealers without much problem, just a quick call to check. As for intetnet sites he offers to check the products out and ask the right questions and if it is exactly the same deal as he is offering he will get closer to their price. He always charges more and I understand why, he has a store and puts in work to get the sale, they sell.

If it is not like with like then he explains what is the difference, European model, no remote etc. I then only expect him to match other dealers.

What does he get, first and last opportunity at my business for ever, my recommendations as the place to shop for serious hi-fi.

What can you guys offer. Well I would have thought the following:
System Design
Pre-Sales Support
Immediate Post Sales Support (most things go wrong in two weeks)
Long Term Post Sales Support
Advice on System Upgrades based on customer knowledge
Competitive Pricing

Competitive pricing is not $ for $

A $5000 dollar item at $3000 dollars on the web has my alarm bells ringing. A $5000 dollar item at $4500 on the web has my interest. If the best dealer price was $4800. I would expect my dealer to be $4700 or $4750. The $200 difference between the web and his price is my fee for his knowledge, demos, time etc.

So you need to judge the customer, if he has seriously judged the market, compared prices with other delears and the web and ensured like with like then you will have to drop your prices and take a smaller margin to retain his business.

If he has one price off the web then stand your ground. Or you could offer to research it for him to 'ensure it is compatible with the rest of his system'.

I work in software sales and 50% of the time I am in a competitive bid for the work so I know what it is like. Except I am a pro, I spend all my time selling, you guys are amateurs as you only spend a small proportion of your time selling. No offence meant, you guys have other more useful skill sets than me.
It is a judgement call, will the guy walk or is he bluffing? Do I want the work at the price he is suggesting? Will someone else do the work at the price he is suggesting? Are there reasons why he should give me a premium over the other guy? How much of a premium? What is the opportunity for direct repeat business and indirect repeat business? Get the right answer to all of these and you get a valuable sale.

Talk to the customer. He asks you to match the web, say no, and ask him to name his price above that level which he feels is an acceptable fee for you experience and service.

A Customer - A Bloody difficult one.

Dave

Hosting Services by ipHouse