The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Sunday October 27, 2002 at 16:10
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Spelling Curmudgeon is capitalized because I am taking it on as a name. Look at it again, and you will see what I mean.

And indeed, being discreet is separating the stuff you should say or do from the stuff you should not, so it makes sense that the two words come from the same origin.

As for quotation marks, remember when EVERY book title, article title, and movie title HAD to be in quotes?

Remember when "everyday" was two words instead of one unless you actually meant "ordinary?" Thank Toyota for hearing that from its ad plebes and spreading it around the world.

Remember when there were two words, "until" and "till," and they both meant the same thing, and they were spelled differently because they had different roots and history. Now we have " 'til," as in Jack In The Box's "we don't cook it 'til you order it."

Nobody gets all this stuff. For that matter, do you remember when "nobody" was two words? Or "everyone" or "everybody?" Wait -- you are probably not hundreds of years old, but they used to be separate.

I went from High School English, where "there is only one way and one way only, and you will learn it," to the UCLA Linguistics Department, where language is constantly changing and evolving.

Webmasters have similar problems. For more of this fun, go to a forum at

[Link: webmasterworld.com]
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse