Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Sunday October 27, 2002 at 12:10
avdude
Founding Member
February 2002
Ernie,

I have to apologize for my poor use of the word discreet, versus discrete. However, if you'll look at the official definition of "discreet" you'll notice that the one of the roots and Latin meaning is to seperate and/or distinguish between. So, in theory, the difference between video 1 and video 2 could be "discreet" or "discrete." Gotta love this language, no wonder it's so confusing to learn as a child.

Main Entry: dis·creet
Pronunciation: di-'skrEt
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French discret, from Medieval Latin discretus, from Latin, past participle of discernere to separate, distinguish between -- more at DISCERN
Date: 14th century
1 : having or showing discernment or good judgment in conduct and especially in speech : PRUDENT; especially : capable of preserving prudent silence
2 : UNPRETENTIOUS, MODEST
3 : UNOBTRUSIVE, UNNOTICEABLE
- dis·creet·ly adverb
- dis·creet·ness noun

Also, when using a direct quote from a written source, you should put the entire text in quotations, unless it is DIRECTLY copied from the source, as the above definition of "discreet" is from the www.webster.com website. Always use at least one space after a period. Curmudgeon is a noun in most contexts, a verb in several and in either case would not normally be proper, therefore it would not require capitalization.

At least it's good to know neither of us is discreet (unpretentous or modest) in exercising our use and knowledge of the English language.

I value your opionions and of all the posters at RC, I always look for your responses to problems, and know that they will help the people out. Keep it up, just having a little grammar fun with you.

Back to the discrete code discussions...

Brian
AVDUDE
"It might work better if it were plugged in and programmed first...just a thought!"

Hosting Services by ipHouse