Original thread:
Post 5 made on Friday February 13, 2004 at 18:02
wolf359
Long Time Member
February 2004
On 02/13/04 01:11, sped30 said...
I was just wondering what is everyones opinion
on this. just by reading some of these threads
you can tell who is in the industry and who isn't.

Can you really tell sped30?
I openly admit I have been taught many things from many a keen hobbyist
Djy(sorry for name dropping) is a fine example of a well educated and informed hobbyist who would pay well for a good product/service but if it was well within his own capable hands then he would do it himself. as I bet you have on many different things
His pronto programming is better than a few pro’s I know AND he can calibrate projectors better than most too.

15 posts and you want a separatist revolution?

Keen hobbyists don’t often want our services but it can be very satisfying when "the know it all, have a go hero types" get stuck and then ask for help (not you djy!)!

Most keen hobbyists (doesn’t hobbyist sound like someone from LOTR!)Show off there systems to people which sparks sales (more work for us!) there friends often know that the guy is a know it all and want to get a man in to set it up properly.

I make my living installing but I LOVE the gear it isn’t just a job to me if I didn’t do this for a living I would be a keen hobbyist.

Every job has its fair share of time wasters, arrogant know it alls, brain pickers etc.
It IS getting harder to rise above it but if you’re good at your job you find ways round it.
Is it fair?...NO
Is this a good place to vent your spleen?..
Yes at least people can see the genuine emotions built up because we are passionate about what we do.
Should we have a private men’s club with shiny password badges to keep the riff raff out ?..
No they trust us more "because "we give freely "because" those of us who are nice people to deal with have little to fear.
Yes I get customer that I run through the install with the sparky only to be cut out of the loop..That type of customer would have always screwed me at some point, better now than later!!
Do I get annoyed? Of course I do that’s why forums like this exist, not just for tech spec but for sympathy and customer strategy and experiene

Theaterworks said

I make a nice living selling to people who are too busy or not inclined to learn what it takes to put a nice system together, but value the end product. You should too, and don't worry about individuals that want what you have (information and skills) and are not interested in hiring you to serve it out for them.

Does this strike a cord with you?

I couldn’t agree with you more

Forums like these point those very people in the right direction
often it shows them its far more difficult than they first thought so they better had get some one in to sort it out.

This message was edited by wolf359 on 02/13/04 19:05.

Hosting Services by ipHouse