Post 14 made on Monday February 16, 2004 at 21:32
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On 02/15/04 22:09, JBJ SYSTEMS said...
Hanging
TV's above people's heads is something that should
be tripple over engineered to error on the side
of safety. Use saftey chains also if possible.

There is a key word there: Engineering. If I were you, I would tell the cliednt that you want to be sure that you and they are never sued because everybody thought the structure was strong enough, but then it wasn't. I think we all probably tend to install things with WAY more strength than is needed, but still, you don't know if those beams are already stressed to the max.

A golf store once asked my company to install several TVs from 6" poles that supported the roof. I was able to get some engineering information pretty quickly that told me that the poles were over-engineered when they were made, but that codes had changed and they were grandfathered in. There was NO WAY anything could legally be mounted on those poles! We decided not to do the job. They hired someone else, but we all sleep very well at night.

Attach C-clamps as stops to prevent the TV's
from sliding or have a welder tack up something
to prevent the sliding if the angle is severe.

Be careful about welding. Again, Engineering. It is possible to weaken beams by heating them above the usual use temperature, and without Engineering, you do not know if you are creating a dangerous situation. Probably not, but again, there is the matter of sleeping at night....
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse