The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 42 made on Tuesday February 24, 2004 at 11:09
MitchellEnt
Long Time Member
February 2004
Ok guys, you have to realize the problems you encounter with customers happen in every business, and almost every small company reacts the same. "Customers should behave in a way that benefits me!" or "He should have just bought it from me, I'm better!!!". It's classic, and only people who are successful will be able to rise above it. Sam is right with his story about bidding (Calling the Bidder and asking to adjust his quote) Don't you realize that in EVERY OTHER industry this happens? If you own a plot of land and want to build, get blue prints, and get bids from building contractors you do the same thing. People do it when they buy a car, and even AVDude admitted to doing it when he bought an air conditioner. (And I can promise you the other three companies were complainig about the type of "customer" he is) Furthermore, I'm sure AV didn't spend 100K+ on his AC, which alot of clients in this industry typically spend on their systems.

C'mon guys, its the nature of the beast, its called capitalism, and its what makes this country great. Alot of you are looking through blinders about this, and you won't be as big of a success as you can be if you don't overcome this professionaly. I give free quotes and in-home visits to all my clients. AVDude mentioned that he dosen't haggle on price of his steak, but the also didn't charge to look at the menu, and the bread and water is free.

Our time is valuable, I agree, but that is why we charge more to install then Best Buy or Circuit City, and thats why our customers pay it. They do realize it, or else they wouldnt even have come to us. People who fight with customers or show them attitude will not reach the potential that they could have. Customers that come to us are usually being exposed to this for the first time, and you have to talk to them accordingly. I've seen plenty of companies or individuals fail because the expect the customer to know the kind of tech stuff we do, or know how this industry works. Let me break this to you, they don't, know matter how long you've worked in this industry. And they pay us the money the do because they don't want to learn, the shouldn't have to.

Remember, Customers don't want to feel belittled or stupid, especially not the guys I deal with. If any of us were to contract a 100K+ job we would do the same exact thing. Don't get mad at them for doing it, just explain why yours is the way it is, and if they walk, keep in touch. If the company that does their work is an admirable company, adjust your price or find another way to compete, if they are a trunk slammer, the customer will not be happy and wind up calling you if you were a nice guy. You might not make the money you would have, but you have earned countless referrals from the customer, and a client for life.

Hosting Services by ipHouse