Original thread:
Post 37 made on Tuesday February 24, 2004 at 08:43
SamG
Long Time Member
September 2002
On 02/23/04 21:06, QQQ said...
2. My one comment is that there *seems* to be
an assumption inherent in your post that the thing
you will be comparing the most is prices on *equipment*.

If that's how I sounded, I apologize. I will be comparing TOTAL price, but want to see a breakdown of equipment costs v. labor costs.

I submit to you that you will be buying “your
installer” so to speak MUCH more than you are
buying equipment. For instance, someone pays
5K for a speaker package that someone else bid
8K on. And at the end, that 5K speaker package
sounds like a $500 package because it wasn’t installed

I agree 100% with you. Since I haven't dealt with any HT professionals (except on this board), I will ask for references (and I want them for free). I will call those people and see what they say. If I knew how to find out who you didn't include as a reference, I want to call THEM.

My point again being that you are buying an installation
far more than you are buying equipment.

Again, I agree. Just from your attitude in this thread, if you were in my area, you would probably be one of the first people I called for a bid. avdude would be one of the last. I'm not saying he doesn't do a good job, I'm sure he does. But as a customer, I don't need/want to get the attitude I feel he's putting off in this thread.

BTW, when you're doing the original bids, I'm not looking for detailed drawings of what the room will look like. I'd like to know the cost of each piece of equipment, your labor charge, and how much labor you expect. (ex. 1.5 hours to move wall, 4 hours to run cable, 2 hours to connect, etc). I'm looking for rough numbers to start with. Is this unreasonable?

SamG

Hosting Services by ipHouse