Pass:

Original thread:
Post 35 made on Tuesday February 24, 2004 at 08:25
SamG
Long Time Member
September 2002
On 02/23/04 21:29, avdude said...
People get what they pay for. PERIOD.

So do you ALWAYS buy the most expensive item you can? You missed my point entirely, I want the best deal. That doesn't mean the cheapest.

You are completely off base and unrealistic in
your expectation here. YOU went to the car dealership,
they didn't bring the car to you. They handed
you a brochure, they DID NOT write you a comphrehensive
bid,

Yes, and I will go to a professional installer and tell him what I want. You want to make me a bid, listing 'x' amount of equipment & labor, and just have a total price? How do I know you're not selling me a $250 television and charging me $500/hour to hook it up?

If you are getting this, then enjoy your shopping
list. You will NEVER get this from me! You WILL
get a line by line explanation, but you will get
a TOTAL price. SORRY...it's MY shopping list!.

Um no, it's MY shopping list. I'm the customer.

I paid over 10,000 PER EMPLOYEE for traiing last
year, ans sorry, MR. Customer, but you are GOING
to help pay for their elevated level of expertise
also! Mayne your new projector, from a factory
authorized, ceritifed and trained installer will
STILL blow up, this happens...difference is, you
bought it from an AUTHORIZED dealer...so it's
just plain covered!

Honestly, I don't care how much you paid in training. That's part of your business. Please note, I never said I would ask you to install anything I bought myself. This entire hypothetical is based on you bidding on doing the entire project.

|I'll learn
YES, YOU WILL! Because someone who PAID for the
education was silly enough to give it up for free!

So, just because you got your education, I need to pay you anytime I ask for your advice? I need to stop responding to your posts then, this is going to cost me too much money.

| I reserve the right to require a fee for the 2-4
hours of my time you waste up front.

Yes you will! EVERYONE DOES THIS! You telling
me you NEVER go to that car dealership and say
they guy across the street will sell it for this?
BULLSHIT!

On this project, no I won't.

I did when shopping 4 companies for
an air-conditioner (three charge me a small fee...one
didn't! I went with a fee based business because
his proposal (maybe cause I paid a small fee)
was done with real software, made sense, and offered
TOTAL info!

Did that TOTAL info include line item pricing? :)

No printable comment!

What is your problem with this? (telling all the bidders they are low/high (without specific numbers) and giving them the opportunity to change their bid?) Are you saying you ALWAYS give your best price? You can NEVER afford to knock 2-3% off?

What DO you do for a living? Is ALL YOUR ADVICE
FREE?

I hookup and maintain equipment at the local NBC television affiliate. And guess what, I get a lot of people who ask me questions how to hook up their VCRs, satellite dishes, stereos, computers, whatever. Yes, my advice to them is free. If they want me to come out and actually hook it up, then I charge, but advice is free. BTW, in the last three months, I've been getting bids from five companies across the country to build us some new trucks. The total bids are in the $500K+ range. NOT ONE COMPANY had me give them money to construct the bids. And they (and I) spent A LOT of time getting the bids exactly how I want them.

If I understand you right, you only want me to contact you, pay you to talk to you, pay you for your bid, don't compare your bid to anyone else, and give you the job?

BTW, your comparison of the steakhouse is like apples and oranges. They aren't able to change their prices, but since I know what their prices are, I don't have to go to them.

SamG

Hosting Services by ipHouse