Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Sunday February 22, 2004 at 20:09
avgenius1
Founding Member
May 2002
JBJ,

As far as the graphics of the old Pronto's vs. the new Pronto's, I understand that there is a screen resolution difference. As far as me telling you how I really feel......you asked for feedback.
I feel that Philips had a great thing going with the TSU 1000/2000/6000. This(and all of its off-shoots, ie Marantz, Integra, etc.) was probably the best universal remote of all time, heck just look at all of the files available for this remote versus all of the other remotes on this site alone. The .ccf file format has been adopted by numerous companies as an importable file for use in thier programs, as a way of making systems, of varying size, complexity and price, work better for the end user. I personally think that the NG series is the downfall of Philips.
I just dont understand why there was a reason to change the old Prontos, the processor in these units wasnt maxed out, sure, the screen resolution could have been improved but I believe the operating system would have supported that. At CEDIA this past year, I got an admission from a Philips employee that the NG series had not gone through enough BETA before being released. Seems that marketing wanted to get the new units out ASAP but engineering hadn't worked out all the bugs. They stopped production of the old style units before the new units were ready to ship. Once released, the amount of bugs made it very diffiult to insure that you could A) actually get the damn thing programmed and B) you could trust that the unit would actually work. Since our customers trust that we are pro's at this stuff, I didn't enjoy having to tell my customers that the remote wouldn't work as anticipated. I have yet to run across a customer who gets upset about there system not working AND wishes to take it up with the manufacturer. They may be understanding about the situation but the look in thier eyes is disappointment, and 'we' as the system integrator are the ones that reap the ill effects of this. Do you honestly believe that your customers dont, on some level, hold you responsible for equipment failures? I also find the IR range of the NG series to be less broad than the old style remotes.
The build quality of the NG's is not even in the same ballpark as the old style. I could continue but I think you get the picture.

This message was edited by avgenius1 on 02/23/04 09:30.
"Some may never live but the crazy never die" ~ Hunter S. Thompson
"There will be plenty of time to sleep when I am dead" ~ Me

Hosting Services by ipHouse