Post 62 made on Thursday July 31, 2003 at 01:36
Eric Johnson
Universal Remote Control Inc.
May 2001

Mr johnson..... You comments about Prontos and
RTI's doing as much as a Crestron really made
me chuckle....

I actually said:

"There is nothing that a Crestron or AMX system can do in terms of bulletproof control of A/V gear, that a Niles Intellicontrol, an RTI TheaterTouch, or a Pronto/MX800 or similar macro capable remote combined with a Xantech Gatekeeper (or a Niles IntelliControl MSU) can't do.

All these combinations provide the installer with simple ways to program an IF/Else statement..."

I'll stand by that. But not your interpretation of it. I specifically talked about bulletproof control of A/V gear and further clarified in a later post:

"I mentioned IF/Else statements and power sensing apparatus which REALLY does make Prontos, IntelliControls, RTI, Xantech and Home Theater Master remote controls as reliable as Crestron/AMX when controlling standard IR A/V components."

I most definitely did say that AMX and Crestron systems CAN DO much more than that, but in most installations are not programmed to do more.

You criticize the IntelliControl, but ignore the fact that savvy installers use the MSU only, and often couple it with a Pronto or Ipronto. That way the macros reside in the MSU, the touch screen only issues single Niles "trigger" RF commands to the IntelliControl MSU. And prontos can be relabled just as quickly as an automation system touch screen.

You criticize the RTI T2 for range and the fact that it only sends RS232 commands. OK, but it is much cheaper than Crestron, AMX or Niles and it DOES send RS232 without any additional boxes! I think that's pretty cool!

You criticize the Pronto for lacking power sensing, ignoring the fact that many installers routinely install it with a Xantech Gatekeeper or a Niles IntelliControl that does provide power sensing.

As for the 2.5mm jacks on the HTM MRF-200, I agree. You make a good point. It is a shame the mistake wasn't corrected.

You complain that I don't see very many good Touch Screen designs. Well I do see some fantastic ones. If you are putting your TIVO guides and menus on your customers touch screens, I'd like to see yours. I am teaching a new class at CEDIA EXPO this year on User Interface Design and Specification. If you've got some cool stuff to share with your peers, I'd like to talk to you. Give me a call.

Best Regards,

-Eric

Eric Johnson
www.hometheaterpro.com

Phone 1-800-247-7001
Best Regards,
Eric

Hosting Services by ipHouse