The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 61 made on Wednesday July 30, 2003 at 23:26
Impaqt
RC Moderator
October 2002
I had a large response earlier and my T1 line was acting up and evidentaly, didnt get posted... grrrr...

I will Try to remeber most of it...

Mr johnson..... You comments about Prontos and RTI's doing as much as a Crestron really made me chuckle....

Lets start with Intellicontrol.....

Poor to Mediocore RF Range, Poorly labled buttons for todays home theater gear... Tivo... Escient Fireball... even HD Satellite become maor issues.... As for controlling a multi-display system... good luck..... I did a bunch of those when they first came out.... and they worked ok... Several have been upgraded to AMX and Crestron systems since the introduction of TIVO.... Something you will NEVER have to worry about with a Crestron or AMX Touchpanel... Need a new button... Draw it.... Done.... ANd what good is power sense on your AudioRequest if you cant control it with your $2k Button based remote?????

RTI T2......

Heres a good one... RS-232! yeah right.... RS-232 transmission without Feedback is kinda like... Well, its exactly like IR..... Except for the couple devices out there that have RS232 Discrete selection but no IR... Its useless.... Faroudja NRS's come to mind as a prety good aplication... But thtas because Faroudja IR Sucks... Power Sense modules work on an inconsistant basis......

Again... Poor to mediocore RF Range, At least the touchscreen allows a small amount of future flexibility.

Prontos.... RS-232.. Nope... Fits Comfortably in a hand... Not in my experience..... Greyscales screens are icky... Power State sensing.. Yeah Right.... Color Pro/9200 are the next best thing to a Crestron or AMX if budget relly doenst allow....

MX700/800 Power Sensing???? Nope. RS-232? Nope.... But overall a good design on the the 700... MX-800.....Why HTM thought it was a good idea to come up with their own IR jacks I'll never figure out..... I have enough time keeping track on one brand of emmitters in my warehouse... Now I've got to have more stupid little leads and emmitters of ONE out of the 10 remotes that I do??????? I dont think so...

-Sigh-

I know you've been around the industry a long time Eric.... I find it hard to believe that you've never seen a proporly designed and installed Creston or AMX system... (Well, I guess you said that 1% of the systems you've seen were good.....

Going back to the Car analogy.... Lets talk 50k-ish Cars....
Whens the last time you saw a BMW 540 or a Mercedes E 320 WITHOUT a sunroof on a dealers lot? You Dont..... because the dealer decided that those cars NEED a sunroof..... Sure, you can order one without it.. Maybe even find one on a lot occationally, but for the most part... Your getin one... And ya know what... Once ya have it... You like it.. Love it even.....

Hosting Services by ipHouse