Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Sunday July 18, 2004 at 08:55
2nd rick
August 2002
I left an e-mail and a voice mail for my factory contact mid last week for these codes and haven't gotten a reply as of yet.

I am really interested in any discrete aspect settings that I can use to send 4x3 out though the component video output for non-HD programs.
Some of the networks have chosen widescreen format with letterbox bars in a 4x3 image (AMC, Fox Sports Net and Bravo) for a lot of their programming, which is not HD.

These images are then flagged as non-HD and pillar bars are automatically applied, because the image remains 16x9 from the component output, and the resulting tiny image from a letterbox within pillar bars is what prompted the call back.

I would like to use the Faroudja to create a quasi-anamorphic 16x9 image from letterboxed 4x3 images.

Ideally, I want to create single button macros for the client to let him automatically apply the correct processing to the image with the least amount of trial and error or endless HDTV 101 lessons on my part for this non-techno client.

The only solution I have arrived at so far is to use the S-video output, which will never place the pillar bars and always remain 4x3, as a second input on the Faroudja, and create a switching macro.

I'm afraid the client won't remember to go back to the HD input when he is watching HD programs, and the sat receiver will apply letter box to the scaled down widescreen image and then the Faroudja processor will scale them like any other letterbox image from the S-video input making a mess of the image quality and ultimately making me wish I had installed a regular sat box instead of a high def box for this client.

In this application I have the processor with all of the discrete aspect commands, and in other applications, I would still rather have the internal scaler in the TV or projector doing it to provide a consistent operation for the client.

Anyone have any different suggestions on setting this up??
Or, maybe a lead to a more intelligently designed HD receiver that can be operated day-to-day by users other than us techno geeks??

Side note,
Greg C, I just sent you an email to the address on your profile, I absolutely appreciate you generosity in sharing the serial commands which are obviously kept close to the vest by LG...

Thanks in advance.
Rick Murphy
Troy, MI

Hosting Services by ipHouse