The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday October 11, 2005 at 23:25
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
I keep getting unrequested emails from Revolution Home Theater. In the middle of a bunch of problems with HDMI connections randomly taking random and undocumented control of systems, they sent out a newsletter today with a three-page (1 page printed, aint' the internet great for making you look bigger than you are?) article on how great HDMI cables are.

So what the heck! I sent them this at [email protected]. Why don't you send them some inquiries, too?

SUBJECT: HDMI Cables Ruining Installations, Costing Installers Time and Money

All right, so that's a rather hyperbolic Subject line. I have just finished reading your three page article on HDMI cables, and the article makes it seem that they are a solution to many interconnect problems.

In my brief experience with them, and the experience of others, though, they appear to introduce undocumented and unexpected results when actually in use with real components! For reference, please check out these threads at remotecentral.com:

[Link: remotecentral.com]

How is an HDMI Cable a solution if a DVD player won't turn on when the cable is connected? Where is the documentation showing what will happen when different brands are connected to other different brands?

Isn't this cable actually a whole new can of worms because manufacturers HAVE NOT worked out how to communicate what they will do?

I would be VERY interested in another article, one that goes into even more depth, about HDMI cables, but that shows us how to use, for instance, the following:

Scientific Atlanta Cable Box and Denon DVD Player
going through Gefen (not Geffen) 6 in, 2 out HDMI Switcher
to two displays: Panasonic Plasma and Sharp Projector.

If there is interaction between the switcher and the source, or between the display and the source, what are the rules for which display of the two will actually control the source? Note that the Gefen switcher's manual does not describe any control situations AT ALL.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse