The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 62 made on Wednesday April 6, 2005 at 09:51
ChicAugur
Long Time Member
January 2003
Really enjoying this thread. It's mostly productive and I hope CEDIA is paying attention.

Let's step back for a moment and look at this from another perspective

So many people are looking for standards. Can any of you think of an industry that changes standards more quickly than this one? Furthermore, can you think of an industry that has to accomodate more differing standards than this one?

I would argue that the lack of instituting standards is a major part of what keeps this industry always on it's toes. Things are constantly changing. The best stuff is rising to the top, the garbage is shoved to the bottom. It can be a good thing

Let me give you a nice example. The electrical industry,-- which absolutely needs standards of course as saftey is the primary concern for any installation-- is steeped in laws, regulations, codes, etc. and as a result changes come at a snails pace.

People with their standards of installation, materials used, and tools applied, become reluctant to accept change. It then turns out that you have many levels of people that have to be thoroughly convinced and see eye to eye before something becomes accepted. Take GFCI circuitry. Even though it was a proven technology, it took over a decade for municipalities, contractors, code regulators, educators, and manufacturers to come together on a concept that saves lives! They are going through this again with AFCI technology (although the line is a little more fuzzy there).

I would like to think that as long as the overall installation for AVAD doesn't pose any significant safety risks, standards and regulations will be kept low and allow the things that drive the industry onward and upward and growing at a pace that benefits everyone, manufacturer, distributor, installer, and consumer alike.

Companies that do their best to run a respectable company and maintain trained installers will excel and continue to be successful. They're good efforts will lead to more work, more profits, and better pay for employees.
Companies that do not do their best will develop poor reputations and educate the consumer that you get what you pay for. They then will have to shape up or they won't be able to stay in business.

The best thing to do for the industry is to allow the economic forces to continue our desire to improve. Standards will come and standards will go. We don't have to agree on them at any point we just have to understand and trust that in every case, it is a simple matter of the fittest being able to survive and continue for as long as it can.

Hosting Services by ipHouse