The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Thursday November 2, 2006 at 01:49
Dave E
Long Time Member
September 2005
The National Electric Code (NEC) is published by the National Fire Protection Association 800-344-3555. Call them and request a catalog. You can order hundreds of code books written by NFPA. The NEC is NFPA70. It has requirements for low voltage grounding, TV Antennas, Cable TV, telephone lines, fire alarm wiring, security wiring, computer, intercom, music systems, satellite dishes etc. as well as requirements for high voltage. I would recommend that you purchase the NEC Handbook instead of the NEC code book. The Handbook has all of the NEC code plus commentary about why the code requires certain things. Knowing why helps you understand the need to do it the right way. It has a good explanation why the cable TV ground, antenna ground, satellite dish ground, telephone ground, security system ground and electrical panel ground must be tied together. Some areas may require permits to do low voltage work and other areas do not. Check with the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction). The AHJ may be the local building department. If your local jurisdiction has adopted a version of the NEC then IT IS THE LAW. Even if you are not required to pull a permit, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO FOLLOW ALL REQUIREMENTS OF THE NEC THAT PERTAIN TO THE LOW VOLTAGE WORK YOU DO. If lightning strikes a building and someone is injured or a fire starts or expensive equipment is damaged because your low voltage work was not properly run or grounded, the insurance company and the attorneys will be contacting you. Remember Olin’s Law, “There will be a fatal fire tomorrow, and the next day you will be in court explaining why you did what you did and why you didn’t do what you didn’t do”.

Whew! I’ll step off the soap box now.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Any wire cut to length will be too short.
I must be a near GENIUS. All my teachers told me I was at the very PEAK of the bell curve!

Hosting Services by ipHouse