Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 25 made on Saturday April 28, 2007 at 16:47
QQQ
January 2002
On April 28, 2007 at 15:04, JBJ SYSTEMS said...
If one was to use their reccomended wiring topology you
would be removing keypads and speakers over and over again.

The problem is that you always make statements and don't really back them up. What's *specifically* is unsound about their wiring topology and why would it cause one to remove keypads and speakers again and again?

As far as the amp goes...my point is this system is supposed
to be made for "us"...or at least that's the way they
sold it to us...so if that's the case...why use a completely
non-standard topology...

Well since it's Ethernet based it's obviously going to have a slightly different wiring topology. But I'm not sure what so bad or unusual about it. About the only thing that's different is that they recommend running Cat 5 to speakers along with speaker cable and in their case use the speaker cable for power and the Cat 5 for signal. That scheme also works with every other system on the market so it's not that proprietary.

and why have a bunch of product
that was never meant to be rack mounted (but may be with
various kits etc.)

Looks to me like just about EVERY product in their lineup is made to be or can be rack mounted. Some of the components are quite small and it goes without saying that such components will need a rack mount kit. Again, this is the same as everyone else on the market including AMX and Crestron.
Their amps DO NOT sound good. Straight
up. Sorry.

Fair enough, at least you're stating an actual issue there. But based on when you did the installation I suspect they only had their first low power amp out. So is it really fair to keep making that criticism when they now offer two other choices?
That being said...this whole concept of "it
will sound better if there is less wire and the amp is
closer to the speaker" is BS! Don't drink the Kool Aid.

I pretty much agree with you on that one. The average length of a speaker wire run in a residence is insignificant in the total scheme of things and if one uses the proper gauge wire it is IMHO unlikely that there's going to be an iota of audible difference between having the amp in the room versus located centrally.

I'm not crapping on it just to crap on it. I'm meerely
sharing my experiences and opinions with you all in the
hope that you will not make the same mistake I did.

Hey, I honestly appreciate that. I know what it's like to get burned and to want to speak up and prevent others from being similarly burned. But I still don't think we have ever seen you actual spell out exactly what the issues were that you experienced. Isn't that what ignited such ire on Alan's part and caused him to question whether it wasn't the installation that may have been at fault?

Hosting Services by ipHouse