The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Saturday May 20, 2006 at 17:09
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Part of the idea here was to use the correct kind of connectors with any given wire, and vice versa.

The Leviton wins in my book.

On May 20, 2006 at 00:12, cma said...
How about this..
[Link: onqlegrand.com]

I just mount the DSL modem/router in the can with
the phone, run the line in and use the phone jack
out to feed the house. Then I feed the house network
from there as well.

Do you take pairs from CAT5 and crimp them into modular connectors (possibly flaky connections, and not the wire intended for that connector), or do you take a modular cable and punch down its multistranded wires (possibly flaky connections, and not the wire intended for that connector)? The only correct solution for using this is to run short modular connectors to phone jacks, then take inside wire pairs from the screws to the punch block. That's pretty much what I do now, but it isn't such a pretty blue box.

It makes sense to have a modular jack for the modem connection because the modem has a modular jack.

On May 20, 2006 at 00:29, netarc said...
Try this one, or the one just below it:
[Link: hometech.com]

And here's the Leviton splitter:
[Link: hometech.com]

THIS ARE THEM! Almost. The Leviton is electronically perfect, with all the correct connections, but I wouldn't want an exposed PC board anywhere, even on the backboard. The hometech ones don't provide a modular jack for the DSL modem because they aren't intended for inside use, so they still need one modular jack or flaky modular connector wiring.

On May 20, 2006 at 12:42, Springs said...
With Fios in this area... whats DSL. Fios is way
faster and the reliability is better than cable
on the installs we have done for internet. Have
yet to get back to the TV install with FIOS. Seems
that verizon had not brought a line from the street
yet.. oops.

I've often wondered why people write responses like this. Maybe it's just to say how cool things are where they live, I don't know.

This is a thread asking for product information about phone lines and DSL. A response comparing FIOS to cable is about as meaningful as coming to a traffic intersection and seeing a purple light. I mean, it just doesn't relate.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse