Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 166 made on Saturday January 31, 2009 at 07:32
juliejacobson
CE Pro Magazine
April 2003
Wow, this thread has gone crazy.

I wasn't interested in the legal issues -- although they're interesting. Anything can be spelled out in the contract.

What started this thread was the fact that I've gotten several calls from consumers recently whose integrators went out of business and they wouldn't provide source code.

It is truly heart-breaking to hear their stories.

They did all the research before selecting a "reputable" integrator. They spent a ton of money on system integration. One guy wanted to add a blu-ray player to the system and was told it simply couldn't be done without starting from scratch - reprogramming every macro, every subsystem, etc. The new integrator would have to re-interview the customers, re-examine all of the connections, integrate devices that they don't usually work with, redo everything. It would take an enormous amount of time and money. People don't enjoy that the first time around, so who wants to go through it all over again?!

Do you think they'll recommend automation to their friends?

Is that the kind of reputation we want for our industry?

I'm getting slammed here because I happen to be such a huge advocate for the channel, and especially Crestron and AMX.

Think of me as a regular old consumer reporter. Can you rationally help me understand why my readers should not be given the keys to their system after they are paid in full? If I am the customer and I ask you this question, what is your reply in lay terms?

I will be fair and present both sides of the argument.

thank you
"CEPro: your website sucks!" - Fins
www.cepro.com
[Link: twitter.com]

Hosting Services by ipHouse