Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 74 made on Wednesday January 28, 2009 at 11:04
rbhfan
March 2003
I guess my stance on it would be although it is intellectual property you were paid to provide it. Although I have yet to run into this circumstance involving higher end programming systems, I did have one nevo customer who was animate about having the software so he could go in and "fiddle" with the programming. I was happy to hand the disc to him because it was an accessory to an item he purchased, but was quick to let him know that this system is running perfectly and the remote is operating flawlessly. Any "fiddling" that changed that would result in an hourly programming charge to right the programming.

As far as a larger Crestron/AMX type system I would explain to a customer how much time and research and programming goes into such a system and if they would liek to purchase the rights to that particular system then they would be able to. Custom made databases, modules, macros ect are tools of your trade and asking for them for free is no different then asking a mechanic to leave his timing light in the front seat after a tune up in case you wanted to make future adjustments to your vehicle.

As far as what customers are left with when the dealer goes out of business I guess that is one more thing to think about when Joe "I work out of my van and live where the wind blows me" installer under quotes a reputable installation firm that has years of stability behind them.

Someone earlier hit the nail on the head when they mentioned Windows from Microsoft. When you purchase a new HP pavillion with Vista on it and 2 years later the MB craps out on you. Unless your system came with a windows disc you will be purchasing a new license to use windows on your upgraded machine.

Last edited by rbhfan on January 28, 2009 11:14.
One thing I have learned in this industry. It is easier to pull a wire than it is to push one.

Hosting Services by ipHouse