Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Monday November 15, 1999 at 23:18
David B.
Historic Forum Post
If you've ever done product marketing research, you already know the answer to your own question.

One4All remotes, and everything else sold at a Walmart, are designed to please the masses and not the few. Most people are surely content with the basic functionality they get out of a <$20 remote. If they can't get it to work, they take it back to Walmart. It's pretty evident looking at the resealed packages hanging on the racks at walmart that many do.

What is evident from this and similar sites is that the advanced programming possible is more challenging than many people can comprehend, and actually intimidating to many. I'm sure they realize that giving the masses more information than most of them need would simply overstress their customer support ability trying to explain what all those extra instructions were for.

They DO provide an email address and a web site of their own. It's printed right on the backs of most newer remotes they sell. I'll agree that the web site needs regular (ok, ANY) updating, but I've gotten most of my "advanced" questions answered by emailing them directly.

As technology pursuers, you and I will never be happy with the lack of technical information included with and about the things we pursue. But I don't mind being "ahead" of the class and the masses. I understand the responsibility. I know the patience and tolerance required and I accept. I fight the fight by throwing back to the masses all the hard learned stuff I had to dig and scratch for. It's "too much" work for one man to do, but about right if 20 or more people who benefit from it. I'm delighted there are places like this that allow me to do so.

Dave

Hosting Services by ipHouse