Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 28 made on Friday January 14, 2000 at 17:49
Howie
Historic Forum Post
As far as I've seen so far, the Cinema 7 is as close to the perfect remote currently available. I've had this thing for only two weeks now, but I think it's great. I performs every function (that I need on my remote for everyday use), for every piece of a/v gear I have. At first I was concerned. I figured a learning remote was the best way to control all the functions I needed, but 28 new functions (as advertised on the packaging) seemed way to few. But, fortuntely, I discovered this website and with a combination of macro's, advanced codes and learning, I've been able to reprogram far more than 28 buttons. That's not to say more memory wouldn't make it better. Like they say in the computer industry, "You can never have too much memory."

Anyway, what would be the "PERFECT" remote? Well starting with the Cinema 7, I'd make the following change to perfect it.

I'd love it if the device keys could not only change the device set for the remote, but also send out the proper ir to change the input of my receiver to the corresponding device. You know, just like the oem remotes that come with the receivers. If this isn't possible, I'd at least like to see more of those L1,2,3 . . . buttons. Given there arrangment, I've set macros on them so that they perform the receiver input switching function, but unfortunately, I have more inputs than "L" buttons.

I personally would add chapter skip ("|<<" and ">>|") buttons, but I guess the current arrangement (ch up & down on DVD's) works. Of course adding more specific function buttons complicates the whole thing since everybody, I'm sure, has unique buttons they would like to add.

I also liked other peoples idea to add customizable button labels and being able to plug it into a computer serial port and programing it that way.

As far as appearance, I do agree that the radio shack version looks better and backlighting sounds nice. I just didn't feel like returning the cinema 7, hunting for a shack that carried the specific remote, and then reprogram the whole thing. I think the cinema 7 looks fine. The layout is a little ugly. One person said in a post that it looked like something from fisher price. Actually, the "fisher price" look appeals to me. Makes it more novel. I like the number shaped buttons. But the overall layout looks messy. This is the same reason I think that the AV pro 8 is ugly. I don't think it looks attractive at all. Just bigger, heavier and less functional.

I like the way the remote feels in my hand. A magazine reviewer, reviewing the same remote without the "Cinema 7" label but oemed for a particular piece of a/v equipment complained about the vcr functions being placed on the bottom and not being easy to press with one hand, but I figure, unless you, extend the remote to add a blank space, some buttons are going to be on the bottom. It's unavoidable. Ironically, he complained the buttons were too small.

My previous universal remote was made by Carver. I thought it would be the perfect solution because it had so many buttons and the whole thing was completely learning. No preprogrammed codes, every button had to be learned. I figured this way, I could have the remote work exactly the way I want. But every button on the thing was exactly the same shape and size and they were all arranged uniformly in perfect rows. After a while I got sick of having to look at the remote and hunting for buttons everytime I needed to use it. I found myself wanting an OFA just because of it's "wild" button layout.

Well I hope I haven't bored anyone with my rambling.

Incase your wondering, here is a list of the a/v equipment I use my Cinema 7 to control.

Magnavox 32" TV w/ PIP (and a bunch of smart buttons I don't use).
Sony STR-DE 435 receiver.
Sony SDP-E800 DD processor (no preprogramed codes or EFC's for this unit at all that I could find).
Technics 5 disc CD changer.
Samsung Hifi VCR.
Toshiba 2107 DVD player.

Hosting Services by ipHouse