Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Friday January 3, 2003 at 21:08
jamesgammel
Founding Member
March 2002
Johnla,
Gee, I think I answered his question in the first post. Told him what he needed (ccf2efc), where (JP-1 files), and that the ccf2efc would decode the ccf file in ueic format, and he DIDN'T have to be concerened AT ALL about the hex codes.
I further suggested that he NOT post questions at JP-1 especially if he was going to mention he needed to use JP-1 to get one lousy function for his MX-500. I did that because I've seen over and over that those questions tend to be ignored, not just by me, but almost all the others. Therefore, IF he was going to use JP-1 to do it, he better be prepared to wing it on his own---i.e, READ and DIGEST the documentation. I thought I was actually doing him a favor. At least he knew NOT to even mention the MX-500 at JP-1 and hope to sneek his questions through. That's easy enuff to do, just use a different username and email address when you register at JP-1. I also warned him that if I saw a post that I recognized from him, I would ignore it since I knew his intent. I don't have to help anyone I so choosenot to. However, by being a little "devious" he might con someone else to answer his questions.
The original poster DID NOT come back with a reply, no complaints about what I said, or my attitude; it was several other OUTSIDERS that jumped in chastising my opinion and attitude. The "rant and rave" didn't start untill those others made their attack. First it was someone calling ueic remotes "low-end", then it went further about differences between actual ueic remote users vs those who use JP-1 for just one function.
Personally I don't care if ANY MX-500 uses a ueic remote, JP-1, and the tools, they are all freely available to anyone who wants them FREE. But that includes the documentation too. If they want to use JP-1 for their MX-500, fine, great, just don't try to take the LAZY way out by not even making a half-ass attempt to UNDERSTAND the process, and don't post a ton of posts and questions looking for someone to HAND you a 2 minute fix for your MX-500. And don't ask a bunch of questions because you were too damned lazy to bother to read the docs.
Good grief, I spent almost 2 hrs today using Yahoo messenger to write a device upgrade he needed because he didn't have excel. I've got several hours more work lined up doing a one-on-one walkthrough for KM and IR. He made a TON of mistakes because he had an old copy of KM (5.15) which is deplete of the readme's. I did a file transfer and sent him an unzipped copy of KM 7.09, and the two readme's. He's getting IR3.11a tonite; that'll get him up-to-date with the programs.
The differnce here is wants to learn the process; he wants to be able to do his stuff on his own. He just needs a little personal attention to put it all together. I don't mind helping a guy out like that. I don't mind spending the HOURS walking him thru step-by-step. Why? Because I know he'll learn the process and won't post crazy questions that John or Jon, etc will have to answer next week.
This isn't the first guy I've walked thru JP-1, there's a half-dozen others. If I was a lazy bastard, The easy way out (for me) would have been just write the KM upgrade myself, uploaded to my 1994 (same as he's using), save the IR dump, and send it to him via yahoo messenger. I'd have been done with him in 10 minutes or less. Would he have learned how to do the dss upgrade he needed? nope. another 10 min. would have fixed that too. Then what? keep making upgrades , saving dumps and sending them to him? Heck no. He isn't lazy and wants to learn. He wants to become self-sufficient and not rely on someone else down the road. He DOESN'T want the quick and easy way out. He's not an egocentric leech who things the world revolves around him, his problems, and everyone else is somehow required to fix his problem.
Is he or any of the others I've walked thru leeches? Nope, they asked for help with LEARNING, and that's an admirable trait. That's all I care to spend on this topic. I have three remotes I need to learn and three device upgrades I need to make for a guy that mailed me his oem remotes. He doesn't have excel or a learning remote. There aren't any files at RC pronto files or JP-1 devices files, so this was his best alternative. yeah, the wife asked why there were three new remotes laying on my desk. 1st time? Nah, received and mailed two to Louisiana, one to Vermont, and these three are from/go to Ohio. I think I've had more remotes come and go than my local wal-mart.;)
Jim

Hosting Services by ipHouse