The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Thursday January 2, 2003 at 20:46
TransAmMan
Long Time Member
October 2002
I was determined to stay out of this thread but what the hell......

Even though I don't agree with JamesG's opinion, he has the right not to help anyone if he feels like it. I think that's the whole point of a discussion board, its not a job, its by users for users, when they have time and feel like it. That is why I'll give another shameless plug for Rob, JohnF, et al. for all their tireless work. I been a member of JP1 for 2 years and haven't posted a single file (not that I haven't tried but who needs a third upgrade posted for the same receiver and so on). I also haven't posted questions without reading the FAQs and so on.

I do, however, have a problem with someone calling our UEIC remotes "low end". Don't mistake low cost with low end. The UEIC remotes are good remotes that have been made great with the hacking efforts of JP1. No other remotes have this kind of support and fandom. That is why many retailers sell the MX-500 as a package with a UEIC remote and cable (BlueDo for instance). I found nothing that these remotes can't control and yet for 5 times as much, the MX-500 runs into roadblocks and needs one of these poor "low end" remotes to hurdle it. I have no problem spending money, but I want to get something for what I spend.

I just bought my third DVD player this weekend. Its a JVC-S400 (cheap model for bedroom). Put the supplied batteries in the remote, learned one signal to my RS 15-1994, loaded IR and now I have all the protocol info, found the upgrade code, tested out all the buttons, used advanced codes (from http://www.hifi-remote.com) to fix or move some buttons around. Saved all that info to a file, and done. Total time, under 10 minutes. Then took the batteries out of the remote and opened the remote drawer and chucked the JVC remote into it with all the other discarded ones (I actually have a drawer just for unused remotes and counted them and there were 19). Oh.....by the way, when I was counting them I picked up my MX-500. I breifly lamented spending $150 for this remote and promtly put it back in the discard drawer where it belongs. Other than the custom labeled buttons, this remote has nothing on the RS-2116 (IMHO).

Some days I think about opening an account on Ebay and selling the MX-500, but decide against it as I like to be reminded whenever I open that drawer how much I enjoy the JP1 remotes.

-------------------------------------------------
Your opinions may be different and I respect that, just as long as you understand I am right.

Hosting Services by ipHouse