The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Thursday January 2, 2003 at 01:06
Johnla
Long Time Member
November 2002
They ask more or less the SAME questions that anyone asks the first time they try out doing JP1 stuff, the only difference is, they want to control a remote, and not a device like a TV, DVD, or VCR. I see just as many stupid questions asked in yahoo in JP1, by those who just want to do JP1 on the cheap,(lazy)as I do others. You seem to be one of the "egocentric people" people that you so despise. The way you talk about your beloved JP1 remote, and with the way you look down at other remotes. As for "shortfalling" of brands. For the majority of the JP1 remotes that are out there, they would be crap if you could not hack into them with the JP1 stuff. Look at them, take away the JP1 and they are just garbage for the most part. That is why they cost what they do. But they can be hacked, and that's what adds more value, to the people that wish, and can do so. There are just as many lazy people that want to "do" JP1 stuff, with only the JP1 remote itself, as there are those who wish to use it as a way to do things to another remote. Yet you say lazy is worse if you wish to use it as a means to do things with another brands remote. Lazy is lazy! No matter if you use it as a tool with another brand, or are just to lazy to look up a brand device to use it with a JP1 remote in it's own. You have a hack for your "kind" of remotes, others do IF they use your lind in the middle, and that upsets you. Why is beyond me. They both are after the same end result, to make what they have more usefull. If the IRCLONE program ends up working as they hope, then the MX-500 people will have their "own" hack to play with. And if may even end up way better than what the JP1 stuff can do. But you know what, it will still come back to it in some ways. either via conversions of codes or whatever. The main advantage that OFA/UEI has, is their code database, and that it has been made public. And that on some of their remotes you have a way "JP1" to do things with them, that THEY never intended for you to do. It was put there so they could do updates, as they did for me years ago when I sent in a 8090 for them to "update" to get new codes, back way before the JP1 stuff was out in the public. That was part of the selling point back then, that they would always add new codes for you, if you needed them. The plug and circuit was put their so OFA/UEI could do that for upgrading, not so that the consumer could. Take that away from them, and you would not have much. Back then the 8090 was nice, because it came with the RF/IR repeater. Which back then was something. And many still like that feature, in fact I could hack out the RF "puck" from my old 8090, and put it in my 15-2116, and end up with the yet to sell 15-2117. Big deal, I don't even care. But you know what, I still think it's cool, that it can even be done. That 8090, is a very old remote. Yet you can still do things like that with it, pirate the parts from it to a newer one. And Still end up with a 8090 that would do IR, even after you swiped the RF out of it. But you know what else, I don't think that the 15-2116/17 you just "made" by by a RF puck from it, ends up being any better than the 8090 was/is, that you took it from. But I also think soon, all real upper mainstream universal remotes will end up having some sort of PC programming for them right off the self in the future, then you JP1 guys can go back to being happy again. Because no matter what you can do with the current JP1 remotes, they are anything but upper end mainstream remotes. They are low end, BUT they can be hacked, and that's where their value is. Even the Kameleon, as nice as it looks, is a low end device. But it looks that it might be worth the $60 if you want the "eye candy" it has, but not much more than that. But as long as they all stay low priced to buy. That is not a bad thing, as long as you can hack them.

Hosting Services by ipHouse