The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Tuesday December 18, 2001 at 12:17
Larry Fine
Loyal Member
August 2001
Doug, believe it or not, I'm basically self-taught. I've been into electronics since I was 5, believe it or not. I just hit the library in school, dug up books on stuff, and started with crystal radios. I started building kits like Dynaco after I was 13 and had Bar Mitzvah money to spend.

Two of my best friends are also knowledgeable in electronics. One is an Electrical Engineer (schooled) who specializes in power transmission systems, and the other (also self-taught) designs processor-controlled elevator controllers.

When we get together to party, we inevitably get into discussions about electrical theory or electronics. We're the only ones we each can have these discussions with and actually undertsand what the hell we're talking about.

My formal "credentials" are actually limited. I am a Master Electrician and licensed electricial contractor, but my abilities and understanding of theory are way beyond those of all the electricians I've met over the years. They understand the mechanics of wiring, but very little about theory.

As far as my A/V expertise, it's all from a deep interest in and love of the subject. If you saw my posts in the "Who Are You" thread, you know my system. I believe in good quality components, but not the extravagant stuff. There is a point of diminishing returns, and I try to avoid crossing it, because I can find better ways to spend the money.

I'm no "golden ear", but I know what I like. I'm not one of those who buys expensive interconnects, but I do believe in cables better than the vermicelli wires that come with most components for physical reasons as well as electrical ones. I use a decent-quality 12-ga. speaker wire, and quad-shield RG, but nothing that costs dollars-per-foot.

Larry
www.fineelectricco.com

Hosting Services by ipHouse