The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 33 made on Friday April 22, 2005 at 11:43
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
But I don't think that's what you are talking about is it?

no, not what I am talking about

You said nothing changes. Won't we always have to account for these differences no matter how we slice things up or how we number this sphere or follow time?

yes, but don't you need to do that now with people in the same time zone? what time do you start work and when does it end, when do you go to bed, at what time of day is it too late to call you? You don't need to answer that, but are those times true for all people in Chicago? Now if I want to call you at work I need to know when you start and end your day but I also need to take into consideration that Chicago & Montreal are in different time zones so I need to take that one hour difference when thinking when should I call you.

Let's say you tell me call between 7-8, I will think,OK I need to call between 8-9 Mtl time. On the other hand you might have said 7-8 because you took the time difference into account and you meant 7-8 Mtl time.

Someone a long time ago decided 12:00 (noon) was when the Sun was at its highest, then time zones came into effect. for some people in a give time zone it is true, for most others it is not because the sun is not at the same place from one end of the time zone to an other.

Simply put if you have lunch at exactly 12:00 right now does it matter if it is called 12:00, 5, or 2 or any other number you want depending on where in relation to you that fixed point is located. but after universal time, if you tell me or DJY call between 7-8 we all know exactly what you mean and when to call the same way it would be true with someone in your time zone.

I guess the simple question is do you have lunch at 12:00 (assuming that is when you eat) because the clock says 12:00 or because that is the middle (more or less) of daylight.

One last thing, time zones fix time over a given area somewhere between here and Chicago there is an area where I need to mess around with my watch if I move a few feet left or right. do you think that the sun changes position that much in the few feet I traveled back and forth?

Hosting Services by ipHouse