The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Monday July 17, 2006 at 10:29
remoteshoppe
Long Time Member
March 2005
On July 14, 2006 at 12:42, Mr Griffiths said...
remoteshoppe ..you teach jiu jitsu...cool ,how
different is brazillian jiu jitsu the stuff you
see in UFC etc in your opinion from the art you
teach?

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu concentrates more on the grappling aspect of the art and is just a small part of what I do. We emphasize self defense more than compettition and you don't want to end of on the ground in the middle of a NY alley if you don't have to. I've trained with Royce Gracie (the original UFC champ) and his older brother Rorion and they are both very dedicated martial artists. I respect what they've started with the UFC but even they will tell you that there's a lot more to their art... they're just showing the stuff that people pay for.

The Jiu Jitsu I train in is a combination of two Japanese styles. One with very traditional flowing movements and the other with more combative self defense work. The best example in popular culture may be Steven Segal in "Above the Law" but I am even reluctant to use that as an example because the comparison is to the TECHNIQUES that Segal did in that film as opposed to Segal himself (anyone remember the clothesline technique on the boat).

On July 16, 2006 at 17:18, nitpickwit said...
5-but my wife did study Brazilian jiu jitsu! Its
called capoeira.

FYI- Capoeira is a Brazilian martial art descended from Africa and it is not Jiu Jitsu. The Gracie's art is Brazilian Jii Jitsu and has been adapted directly from the Japanes art.

Hosting Services by ipHouse