The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 86 made on Tuesday April 17, 2007 at 06:18
stereoguy823
Advanced Member
February 2005
On April 16, 2007 at 09:18, Theaterworks said...
A boat moves on the ocean. The people in the boat all
move to one side, and water comes in over the beam. Who's
responsible for the boat sinking, the ocean or the people
on the boat?

It all depends on the size of the boat and its occupants. If 20 people were on the Titanic and ran to one side (before it sank) and water came over the side it would suggest that the sea was pretty rough. The sea would sink the boat.

If 20 people were on a dinghy and ran to one side the boat would capsize and THEY would sink the boat.

A poor analogy, me thinks. I think the one to apply here is the first.

The information I heard is that we have pretty accurate
average temperature readings for periods of time going
back thousands of years, and this last century's temp
rise is astounding relative to any other.

I have heard things too. So is what I heard right or what you heard? I'm sure if we could compare the raw scientific data, it would still prove inconclusive. If we showed each other the films and documentaries we had seen we would still not agree. We would bicker at how this was motivated by that, etc.

No win.

But it keeps us all busy from working on what really matters. And that is finding ways to actually deal with the problems we are going to face in the future because of climate change.

Like ceied says, let's enjoy it. Perhaps not everyone's choice of action. But in the face of such nonsense from our governments taxing us so hard instead of making real changes, I'm going along with it. Any ice in there Ed?

Let's take a look at taxing airlines more. But the government wants to make way for more runways at Heathrow. Isn't that a little contradictory? It will bring more pollution, CO2 emissions and noise, not to mention more development where it is not wanted to the inhabitants (human and others) which wil get wiped off the face of England. How does that make a cohesive policy against global warming. If they were serious about CO2 emissions it would have a re-think about that.

There is just not enough honesty in the CO2/global warming debate put upon us by the governments of the world (namely western) to give any of it credibility.

Of course, if it is said enough times, we might remember it.

C'mon. Being in retail you can appreciate good marketing,
can't you? :-)

No, it just frustrates me. I am an installer first and the power of marketing puts me in positions that make me want to;

A) Puke
B) Stangle my customer
C) Strangle the marketing 'guru' who came up with the cr@p
D) all of the above
Sticking to what I'm good at.

Hosting Services by ipHouse