Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Friday September 13, 2002 at 08:44
hammer995
Long Time Member
September 2002
Mr. Houston,

Again you seem to harp on part of my response that has little or nothing to do with what I am talking about.

My concern again is not cost. I understand what you are saying about certification and I believe you.

I will try and state my concern as matter-of-factly as I can for your understanding.

Here it goes...pdawin told somebody in an email that this is a software problem. Therefore, something has changed, pinout, voltage, TX/RX, etc... from the 38xx to the 39xx so that the software is no longer corresponding with the device correctly. Yet, there is no distinction in the expansion sleeves for these two devices. There is also no disction in CF memory, wi-fi, microdrive, etc.. for these two devices. Therefore, this makes for backward compatibilty between the 38xx and the 39xx (i.e. if you upgrade the Ipaq you would still be able to use your external CF cards). I may not understand the detail involves as much as you, as indicitive of my statement of education. If logic is involved, would it not be sensible that this type of change to the interface would change many more CF devices than the PDA-ir?

Now it seems that there are difference between PDA's like the Jornada, Toshiba, etc...and one would have to maintain compatibility between them all. That I understand is costly, but costly to the point of the driver or software that is using it. The hardware stays the same for every product. Yet CF memory does not have to change and it doesn't have specific drivers for each PDA...interesting?

As for your questions. I paid $80 for my wi-fi card. How do you get $200 each when they only charge $25 per card? Would it really add $475 to the device?

USB, PCI, AGP, Firewire are the same for every PC. Apparently CF is not the same for every PDA. That is what I am concerned with Mr. Houston.

And if pdawin and PDA-ir made a package deal for let's say $75 I would pay for that. Still comes under the price for a "working" pronto pro. And perhaps I would get better customer service and replied emails if the price was a little bit higher. As it stands now I have yet to receive any responses to my emails for $20.

This message was edited by hammer995 on 09/13/02 08:53.57.

Hosting Services by ipHouse