The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Thursday January 8, 2004 at 14:29
sandman69
Long Time Member
May 2003
Ok, I took the plunge and bought a Dell Axim X3 basic and the PDAwin software. I choose the X3 as it is cheap compared to the Ipaq versions and like the ipaq it comes with consumer grade ir built in so no external ir extender is needed.
The good news is the PDA is much smaller and lighter than my pronto TSU2000 and with some tweaks to your ccf file it will operate in much the same manner as the TSU6000.
My biggest worry when buying this unit was the strength of its IR, I dont quite know why but some devices work great from my seating position which is about 13 feet from the tv but other are not so great. For example my Sky digibox(which is what gets used most often) works great and will operate with the PDA pointing in almost any direction (by boucing the ir off walls), my amp, projector, lights and dvd player also work quite well but not quite as good as my sky box but my (cheap UK goodmans tv) tv is very poor and will only operate with the PDA pointed directly at it. The software despite what others have said about it is very good, there are a few nigglig complaints but these can all be gotten around by making a few changes to the ccf file. The only other complaint I have is for some reason the far right button on the X3 isnt mapped to the software and instead the smaller record button is mapped (I have emailed PDAwin but dont expect a reply).
I still have my pronto and will keep it out as I dont want others putting their grubby fingers all aver my PDA but all in all I am very happy with the Axim and now my remote control also displays photos, keeps contacts, appointments, spreadsheets, plays games, recieves emails, surfs the net and plays mp3 files. Definately recomended.

Hosting Services by ipHouse