Original thread:
Post 5 made on Tuesday August 10, 2004 at 11:27
Don Stratton
Long Time Member
December 2002
On 08/06/04 17:43, FrankW said...
What's the problem with the Wolfson audio codec
in the e800 ?

You tell me. Is it the same chip they used in the e740 and prior? Those audio systems worked, the new ones that you say are based on a Wolfson codec do not. The nature of the Total Remote signal is precise and pushes and audio system to the edge of typical audio specs. Think of it as the ultimate tool for quantifiying the high-frequency response of an audio system. The only POSSIBLE conclusion that can be drawn is they are using lower quality audio systems now than they used to. I could blather about spectrum analyzers and frequency counters and function generators, but the end result is just a pure, unvarnished fact not open to interpretation. When I say an audio system cannot support Total Remote it is the same thing as saying it lacks adequate high-frequency response to be considered "high fidelity" (20Hz-20KHz ~3db) or it lacks sufficient output amplifiers to generate a decent signal. I have NEVER seen the latter; even Dell Axim X5 and Tosh e800 have powerful output amps, they simply lack high-frequency reproduction.

Now, if you are a mad, mad scientist and Mr. Wizard with a soldering iron and the Digikey catalog, I can throw you a bone for the e800. Feel free to make an audio amp designed to boost +6db (at least) at 19KHz. I honestly do not recall what the signal of the e800 looked like at 19KHz, but I _think_ it was simply severely attenuated, so a "booster" should restore enough signal to work. With some work you could power the whole circuit off the e800's dock connector, or just cheap out and use a 2036 battery. I know for CERTAIN this will not work with an Axim X5 or a Casio E-200. They flatly do not even put out a signal higher than ~12KHz, so there is nothing to boost. Wacky pulse-width modulation.

--Don

Hosting Services by ipHouse