Post 153 made on Thursday August 5, 2004 at 17:22
Don Stratton
Long Time Member
December 2002
On 07/28/04 15:55, GUI_QA_guy said...
Don,

Please just give me some response even if it is
just to say i am up a creek!

You _may_ be up a creek. A very special creek I call "YMMV" (Your Mileage May Vary), also known as "it works for me" syndrome.

I have never heard of this problem. I do not have a 39xx to test, but I have never seen a ROM update stop Total Remote from working. I have done updates that aren't even supported by Compaq/HP for public use, and they still always worked.

I have heard from a very large percentage of iPaq 41xx users that have had 50/50 success. Some get it to work with no more effort than an install, some must adjust iPaq-specific audio properties in the control panels, and some never get it to work. Perhaps HP did something to affect the audio, which could GREATLY affect Total Remote's audio transmitter, and perhaps this nebulous "something" also applies to your 39xx. Dunno. YMMV.

Was there any special setup pre EUU3 to get the
IR transmitter to work?

No, in fact the father back in time you go the less there was to tweak and/or go wrong. Total Remote was developed on some stock 3630s, and worked fine. Subsequent ROM and OS updates did not affect it negatively AT ALL.

Have you looked at the IPAQ development kit from
HP to possible resoved all IPAQ issues and ensure
that it works?

Heh. You are a funny man.

From what I have seen even Compaq/HP can't get their crud to work in a consistant fashion. The specs may say that most iPaqs should operate identically, but the reality reminds me of an old quote often used in engineering; "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice... but in practice there is."

All I can do is keep buying new iPaqs. :/

Is this like any other problem you have seen with
other PDA's?

Only the aforementioned 41xx issue with the audio trnsmitter.

Is there any chance this will ever get resolved?

No. Wait... yes! Uh, wait... maybe?

I can't resolve it if I have no idea what is causing it. If I can resolve it, I will. If I can't, you can predict the outcome.

--Don

Hosting Services by ipHouse