Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 118 made on Friday June 18, 2004 at 13:04
Don Stratton
Long Time Member
December 2002
On 06/02/04 23:13, blueness said...
d'ho! I guess I'd better get crackin'...
... or is the vote for a "Rez" skin? Perhaps
I'll stick with Odyssey as I'm into that Kubrick
/ IDEO directness.

Either one sounds cool, although the idea of PULSING bands of Tron-like accents made me suddenly wish Total Remote had support for animation or color cycling. ;)

I can totally understand the Best Buy angle.
Returns must suck if you're not stamping out
generic PHD ("push here dummy") remotes for "pennies

on the dollar."

Griffin suffers this far worse on the consumer gear, actually. Our madly wildly popular iTrip FM transmitter for iPods (also my project, thankewvurramuch) is sold my quite a few consuder channels like CompUSA, Apple retail and online stores, etc. and the returns on such products are mind boggling. You buy an iTrip at CompUSA, decide that "it doesn't work right" which really means you can't use an FM transmitter in your particular situation (no opens bands like in LA/NY, electrical noise from power lines conducted into the RF signal, you have a crappy radio with a broken antenna but it pick up the local 100,000 watt radio station "just fine!", etc.) so you return it, and CompUSA sends it back to us with no explanation why, and for FULL credit. Of a typical CompUSA-style return of 100 units, less than 5 will actually have a defect. We cannot sell them again as new, and it is extremely difficult to recover the electronic components for reuse (failure rates shoot through the roof for "reworked" components).

You can see why I am not overly eager to give your mother, my mother, or anyone else's mother a chance to buy this based on pretty screenshots on the box. I am beginning to see that a decent home theater remote system requires a level of commitment not unlike selecting and using a programming language; you will never get satisfactory results without pouring tons of personal effort into it, and there will be a lot of time spent editing even if you try to cheat and use someone else's CCF/skin layout as a framework.

As an aside I would note that _I_ think it is easier to work "on the device" with Total Remote's native mode for taking a skin and adding IR codes and macro functions than working "offline" with a damn CCF editor. I _could_ be biased. :)

| On 06/18/04 11:07, trmaier
said...
Hello, I've been reading through the forums and
haven't noticed anyone using TR with a Toshiba
Genio e550g. Is there anyone out there with firsthand
knowledge how TR works with the Genio? How about
the audio transmitter?

Since it is on our compatibility list, but Griffin does not own one, it came to us as a user-reported success. Considering every Tosh up to the e750 worked without any caveats I would say you are pretty safe. In many respects, given the extremely powerful IrDA of the e3xx and e740 (which we do have) and the excellent audio port that works well with our transmitter it is possible the e5xx may be one of the BETTER Pocket PCs to use for remote control.

Am I correct in what I read, in that the CF IR
transmitter from Ultramote will NOT work with
TR?

Yup. Of course in fairness it doesn't work with Novii or VitoRemote either. Should it? If someone wants to send us CF IR devices we can use for testing we might add support for the various flavors of CF IR devices out there, but the limitation of what PPCs it can be used with (due the the utterly non-standard nature of this absolutely non-complient CF IR device) it doesn't set my world on fire, ya know?

Hosting Services by ipHouse