Long Time Member
December 2002
On 08/29/05 12:34 ET, Fletch said...
Yeah, I thought about this too and couldn't figure
out a way to do it. Since a variable can only
have one of two values and a macro can only depend
on one variable, I don't think variables help
much...

Here's how I think it would work - although as I said, it only functions if you can do nested macros (and if variable setting is relatively quick).

For simplicity's sake, let's say you want access to FAV (for surround options and lighting perhaps) from three possible devices - TIVO, DVD, and VCR. You create three variables - "From Tivo?" "From DVD?" and "From VCR?". The FAV button on each device would zero out and set the variables appropriately. So, the FAV button on your Tivo activity would set the From DVD and VCR variables to 0, while From Tivo variable gets a one before going to the FAV page.

Then, your "Return" button on your FAV page is a variable macro, linked to whichever device you're most likely to be coming from - lets say Tivo. If Tivo variable is 1, jump back to the Tivo device.

If Tivo variable is 0, another macro is activated. Let's call it "Check DVD" - it's hidden on some extra page somewhere. "Check DVD" is another variable macro, linked to the "From DVD?" variable. If DVD variable is 1, jump back to the DVD device. If DVD variable is 0, then activate the "Check VHS" hidden macro...which of course works just like the Check DVD did, but set for the VHS variable.

This could go on for as many devices as you need. Like I said, it requires nested macros (can anyone confirm?) and variable setting and macro nesting need to be fairly quick, particularly if you need access to FAV from a ton of different devices.

Of course, the "Return to previous page" function would make all this irrelevant :)

--- EDITED TO ADD ---
Wow, must learn to type faster - irrelevancy within weeks! Great work HTM and Gregorius!

Hosting Services by ipHouse