Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1,821 made on Saturday December 9, 2006 at 03:49
BigPapa
October 2005
On December 9, 2006 at 00:26, Rich_Guy said...

This was the price for a MX-850 and MRF-250 with programming,
as quoted by a poster here on Remote Central who after
seeing his itemized bill was shocked what the remote cost
and said he was returning it. He paid $15,000 plus for
a system I believe.

Well Rich, you've been running with this for a long time, I see you have some issues with it. Let's analyze. Unless, of course, you're just harping on $1000 MX850's to tweak us because you know it's a rarity.

First of all, it's not $1000 bucks for an 850, it's $1000 for an 850, and MRF250, and programming. MSRP on both products is about $500. That leaves a profit somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 on both products.

On a $15K system, let's say $5K in speakers. $3k projector... $7K for components and install time. That's probably an AV reciever and 3 or 4 sources.

If the installer has installed the same exact setup many times before and is merely rehashing the same design again, then $500 to program may be an exhorbinant fee, I would agree. But, you don't know that. You're assuming that, because it already fits into your preconcieved opinion. The reality is that I can see $500 being a fair price to program a remote depending on components and installation environments, as well as requirements stated by the client.

Rich, you've been a hobbyist for 20 years, right? Do you think all MX850's should be programmed in 2 or 3 hours? You might be able to make a new program in that time catered to a client's request, but to then test the program with all the components for consistency? Add to that RF testing, which can sometimes be frustrating and take a lot more time. You've used RF before right?

The fact is Rich that we don't know the full skinny on the "$1000 MX850" urban legend. I'd be glad to parse it with you, objectively, just for the adventure. It's quite possible that a CI is jacking it up, but it's also at the very least quite possible that it's a fair price too.

Sounds ridiculously expensive to me, I have $219.00 dollars
in mine and wouldn't have wanted anyone to program it
but me.

Understood, but why do you place your value judgement onto others? Since it's not right for you, you seem to think it's not right for anybody.

I understand some people may like their remote
programmed for them but that is an outrageous price to
pay...

Yep, placing your value judgement onto all others.

.... for that much money I would gladly do it everyday,
hmmm program 5 remotes a week for $2000 dollars not to
mention the huge markup for MSRP, yikes!

Most CI's wish they made that kind of money too. Feel free to have at it Rich, more power to you. I'll kiss your pinky ring and suck up when I see you at CEDIA teaching a class on fast programming of MX850 remotes for large profits. But then again, they're not just programming 5 remotes, they're usually installing AV gear too, running cable, etc. But you've a head start with 20 years of hobbyist experience. See you at CEDIA!

Hosting Services by ipHouse